Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Second Grade Has Gone to the Dogs


I host a Therapy Dog once a week for one hour in my second grade classroom.  The organization is called Norwester Readers  This has been an amazing adventure for me.  I started with the idea that it would basically be something fun and enjoyable for my second grade students.  They would get to read to the dog.  I had no idea that this program would help students in such profound ways.  My students began to relax as they stroked "Wes", and as they read to him their hands would either rest on his fur, or they would pet him.  Fluency began improving, along with test scores.  Parents noticed their children practicing their oral reading with their pets and stuffed animals at home.  What an awesome program!  If you are an animal lover, like me, you may be interested in looking into a therapy dog program in your school district!

No comments:

Post a Comment